Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chris' Corner: Tricks of the Trade From Your Friendly Neighboorhood Certified Athletic Trainer

Welcome to the final edition of Chris' Corner (at least for the foreseeable future). I'm not going to lie to you gang, this is a tough one to write and I'm getting very choked up doing so. If you'll forgive me I'm not much in the mood to discuss education this week but rather to reflect on the season that was.

And what a tremendous ride!!! Right from the pre-season I could tell this was a special group. I've never coached a volleyball game in my life and my knowledge of the sport is still growing, but having been a part of athletics in some capacity my whole life it was easy to see this team would go far. All the physical skills and personnel were there but more than that this was a true team! The kind that doesn't come around that often. Just to put it into perspective here are some numbers:
- 30-4 overall record (best winning percentage in program and school (?) history)
- Ranked #12 in the nation (highest ranking in program history)
- Countless SSC offensive and defensive player of the week honors along with a National
player of the week
- 5 players on the All-SSC Team (most in the Conference and most in program history)
- SSC Conference Champions (first in program history)
- Making the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament (first time in program and school
history)
- Sam Cibrone SSC Coach of the Year (first time in program history)
Not too shabby when you add it all up. Not too shabby at all!

In my world it was a dream season as well. Not one player had to miss match time due to injury! With the type of schedule we play that is huge. Plenty of bumps and bruises along the way and plenty of quality time in the Athletic Training Room, but these athletes are tough as nails and were always ready to go when the bell rang.

Plenty of sentiments were shared by players, coaches and yours truly in the locker room after the final match, and that's where they will stay. But let me tell you this: As an Athletic Training student and as a Professional I have been fortunate to work at every level of athletics, from high school to professional sports. I have never loved, cared so deeply for, or been so immersed in a team as I have for this one. Coaches and players alike, there is not one person involved with this team I would not call my friend and do anything for. And I know that same sentiment is true across the board. When you boil it all down, that is the true reason for our success this season.

As an Athletic Trainer you tend to operate somewhat on the periphery of the teams you work with. You are a part of things but not really a part of the team. Not true with this team. From day one an effort was made by coaches and players alike to include me in every team function, every team meal, everything. And the trust put in me by the coaches and players is something I will always remember. When talking with friends, relatives and co-workers it always felt natural for me to say "We" and not "They", and for that I can't thank you enough. It has been an honor and a privilege to care for you this season and a heck of a lot of fun to contribute to this blog in my little way.

Cherish the season that was, look forward to the season that will be.

Signing off from Chris' Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment